Friday, January 16, 2009

Dogwood damaged by snow

We have two Dogwoods out in front of our house. The Red Dogwood, pictured below, was planted in 1987 when it was just 18 inches tall. I ordered it from Wayside Gardens, whom I have found to be a very reputable supplier of all things gardens! I had a photo of this in full bloom in my profile for a long time. It is a spectacular specimen.
It has numerous trunks leading up into numerous branches which create a wonderful canopy over this area.




The other is a white Dogwood, planted when we purchased the house in 1996. it was 12 feet when planted. This tree never was able to keep pace with the red, but it did get nice and full. Then one winter we got hit with a very heavy snow storm. At the time I was not physically able to get outside due to bad health. So I had to watch from the window as the two main trunks got toppled over by snow and then both snapped under the excessive weight.




We considered replacing the tree as it was so badly damaged. But I am not one to give up too easily.




I gave it a hard pruning and trimmed the large remaining branches so that they were about the same length and also cut back all the small growth.





We had two years of a very sparse tree, but this past year it looked quite respectable.



How interesting! When I went to look for a photo of this tree I found I had none. Then I realized that I had very few photos of any trees. My focus was on plants and other things this past season. i will need to get photos of my trees next year. I have so many that I guess i was taking them for granted!! Need to correct that in the future.

1 comment:

Michelle Clay said...

Don't give up on damaged trees. it is trees that have been scul;pted by the elements which look the most interesting! Perfect symmetrical trees are boring.