Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tangerini's Farm

I went to Tangerini's Farm in Millis yesterday. I was after veggie plants and was quite thrilled with all that I found.

That plus finding Stinging Nettle!! It was on the top of my foraging wish list. It is a nuisance weed to farmers. I just happened to be there as they were pulling out and discussing them. Otherwise I never would
have noticed them. I was focused on what veggie plants I was needing.

I washed them outside in a huge sauce pot, cut them all to about 12", then steamed them and had them for supper. The
grandkids loved them, as did I, and my hubby found them to be very pleasant. A WINNER!!!

Can't wait to go back to the farm when I have the time for a tour. It is in such a beautiful setting.

3 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Was that your first time at Tangerinis? I so love that place. If you have the time, go for a walk around the edge of the fields (with an icecream in-hand, of course.) The wildflowers out there are amazing.

Was prepping the nettles at all dangerous? I am intrigued!

marna said...

Hi Michelle - It was my first time. I plan to go back when I have time to walk around and get a tour.
I had read up on nettles, so I was prepared to handle them.
I used gloves initially, trimmed the tops down to 12" and got them into a huge pot from John's restaurant that he used to make sauce in. It stands about 3 ft high. Then I used the hose to wash the nettles thoroughly in that pot.
I used long tongs to get them moved into a smaller sauce pot to steam them.
Once cooked they can be handled with no danger of reaction.
They were delicious. The broth, if boiled can be used as a coffee substitute as it is supposed to be a stimulant!
Yesterday we tried boiled dock stem, milkweed and more japanese knotweed. Everyone doesn't like everything, but it all gets eaten!!
I just finished freezing the left over greens and broth.

Michelle Clay said...

That's fantastic Marna! Mmm, you are making me hungry!