Sunday, May 10, 2009

Very busy over here

Last year for Mother's Day I asked my family for help in the gardens for the day. It worked so well that we are doing it again.

Many of you may remember my Raspberry patch and how my hubby and Mia cleared out a new area next to it for me to use to thin out the berries. That is until my hubby forgot what it was for and planted his tomatoes there!! Well, his tomatoes did not like the area, (may have had something to do with my contempt for them), and most of them died!

This year there will be no tomatoes there!!

Yesterday we did a pavers run, only one more truck load and we will be done with the hauling! We have moved hundreds of pavers over the last weeks, and I have been busily using them to surround the new raised veggie beds and for paths in the gardens. What a marvelous addition they make! Thank you, Babs, for your generosity. You have also provide compost and soil to use to fill some of them!

After the truck was unloaded we worked on the gardens. Mia loaded up my black gold compost from the purchased compost bin, to have ready for my choicest plants, while hubby scraped a path area for more paving to be done!

Then we all proceeded to the Raspberry patch, where we dug out a pathway and developed rows for easier picking and less crowdng of plants. These berry plants just love their location. They have spread so much that we are extending the area out towards the veggie beds. OOPS!! That means we have to get rid of more lawn! Too bad!! LOL I have been gunning for it for years.

Then Mia and I worked on the Fruit guilds. We moved a large Rhubarb, splitting it into four plants to provide mulch for the guilds. Also had moved Fennel there during the week, to attract beneficial insects. A Lupine had seeded itself under the Apple tree, which is perfect as Lupine is a nitrogen fixer, so I moved more under the Pear tree as well.

Then added lots and lots of violets, also a nitrogen fixer. What a great time to move them as I could play with all the colors! I love the creative side of gardening. Using the plants as paint, you can create masses of wonderment for the eyes! During this process, I sort of lose myself to the flow of the work. I seek out just the right plants, dig and replant, knowing that I have just what I need in the gardens to create just the right environment for these fruit trees which have yet to be productive. Already they are producing lots of flowers, for the first time, aided by the blooming bulbs, planted last fall which suppress the lawn from encroaching into the area. Right now the Allium is just starting to open up, with a glorious deep purplish pink bloom!

Okay, I cold go on and on, but it is now light out and I need to get moving - so much to do, so little time these days.

Just wanted to let you know what I have been up to!!


1 comment:

Michelle Clay said...

I didn't know that violets fix nitrogen! I may have to revisit you for more sometime after all, if you still have extra. :D Cheers!