Thursday, June 26, 2008

I put up offer for strawberry runners, to see what the interest might be. Had 7 responses in the first few hours - wasn't sure if i could accommodate them all so went out to count runners. Well, imagine my surprise when I could barely walk through the strawberry patch due to so many runners - I counted 177 that had set little plants, and many more are getting ready to set!!! Will be able to share with all!!
One girl who responded wanted to plant strawberries due to memories relating to her grandmother and picking strawberries with her. My grandkids went strawberry picking with all of us last year at a local farm - and had so much fun I moved a bunch of runners that had been around forever into a new sunny patch, and we have been enjoying strawberries for 2 weeks now!! Every time they come, they run to the patch for berries!! I just have to battle with the local catbird that keeps eating them - even when I am within 6 feet of it!!
What a wonderful time of year - Walking around I can hear baby goldfinches in my Blue Spruce, and several other chirping groups in various trees!! Had 2 hawks here yesterday diving to get at something in my garden.

No comments: