Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm starting to get the hang of the layout - Getting lists ready. Getting more pictures taken, sorting which to post. I've been checking out gardener websites. Couldn't find one that had what I'm looking for. I'll be setting up a schedule for when I'll be in the garden on a regular basis so people know when they can book a time to come. Of course the weather will play a big part in this.

I really love sharing my gardens. Had many visitors to the garden on Saturday - I was offering Climbing Hydrangea cuttings - I have a marvelous one that I've had since 1994, which is growing up a 60-70 foot Swamp Maple in my back yard. The tree had 2 main trunks, both of which have the Hydrangea on it about 50 feet up now. I did take a picture, which will be posted as soon as I get them all downloaded.

It was pretty amazing when people started asking about that vine - When I got into the garden below, I did not realize that it had runners all over the ground - to date I have given cuttings (All at least 3 leaf groupings) to 19 people with 10 more still to get picked up!!

I have another Climbing Hydrangea that I had gotten in 1992, which did not grow until after the other was established and blooming - It is on a tree about 12 feet from the other one!! It is only about 8 feet after 16 years!! So the lesson here is that 2 similar plants do not always grow the same.
I just checked on my caterpillars, and one was just finishing changing into a chrysalis and was stuck between fennel stalks. Moved him out and set him up to dry!

I'm always amazed when I get a different color variation on a seedling plant - such a great surprise - recently I discovered white edges on some blue columbine - parent stock is very dark blue! Put up a new seed offer yesterday on Freecycle groups. I belong to the Franklin, Plainville and Attleboro groups here in MA. I have gotten 16 responses so far on this 1 offer, and 8 are new to my gardens!

I have had 127 responses to 6 offers for free plants/seeds, 30 of those were repeats, so I have shared my gardens with 97 people since I started on Mother's Day! My garden's and I are thriving on all this attention!! Thanks from all of us.


No comments: