Thursday, October 23, 2008

Another day, another rescue

Saw one of Mia's cats, Pia running around in the front yard recently. Do you get the significance of the name. This cat was picked out by Mia when she was about 4 years old. When thinking of a name she wanted it to sound like hers, so, thus the name Pia. Who knew seven years later we foster a pregnant stray and keep four of the kittens. Mia kept two of them, naming one Puff, and the other, of course had to rhyme with Mia, so she became Kia!!

So Pia was out running around, and I took a closer look and saw her trying to catch a chipmunk. They were in the strawberry patch, and Pia was unable to find it in the leaves I had put over the area. Then I saw it run for cover under into the yucca. Smart chipmunk! What cat would try to run into those pointy leaves??!! I figured the chase was over, so went back to what I had been doing.

Then later on I found Pia staring up at the Pear tree. "What is she looking at?," I asked myself.




Needed to find my glasses first, before looking more closely at the tree. This is what I saw.





A small chipmunk stuck up on a branch.





Look at this adorable creature. Out for a brisk romp around the yard, and getting harassed by our resident mouser. What damage do they do?? None, but for some reason this year Pia has been helping herself to many chipmunks. She must have worn out her welcome with our mouse population.




Now, that was not so unusual. But what was, was the cat down below, totally able to climb up and get at it, and the chipmunk above, totally able to try to make a run for it, both in a stalemate, neither making the first move.
I decided to just see how it might play out.

When I checked out the situation about an hour later, it was still at a standstill. Both holding their ground, neither willing to give an inch. So I decided to make my position known. I got on some heavy gloves, and went out to rescue the chipmunk. As I got closer to the tree, it did not move a muscle. And Pia stayed right below waiting to see what was going to transpire.

Well, I shooed Pia off and still the chipmunk did not move. I had to get closer to the tree and grab the end of the branch for it to realize this was the opportunity it needed to initiate its escape. And sure enough, it took of down the tree and into the nearby brush, while I held Pia at bay.

No comments: