Wednesday, October 29, 2008

New edibles from my foraging hike

These are several of the new edibles I learned about on my foraging hike in Birchwold Farm. This is Indian Cucumber Root. It is a plant that is not very common, so it is not to be harvested for more than a taste. The root is very small, so it is just enough to get a taste of the cucumber richness it possesses. I have it in my woods, but the group has only about a dozen plants, so I won't be harvesting it any time in the near future.



These are acorns from various Oak trees. I was looking for softer wood Oak trees, which have the rounded leaves, but was unsuccessful in finding any acorns from them as I was looking too late in the season. Next year I will have to scope out these softer wood trees sooner so as to harvest some of the acorns before the squirrels get them all. The softer wood acorns are sweet enough that you can eat them raw. The other, harder wood acorns need to be processed, which is a longer process I just didn't have the time for this year, what with getting my new edible beds ready.



These are Salsify, or Oyster plant seeds. I was able to harvest the seeds, and planted them in anticipation of tasting the roots next spring to see if they really do taste like oysters or not. Mia loves oysters, so I think it will be interesting to try them. In any case, the spring leaves are used similar to dandelion leaves, so I will be picking plenty for salads, soups and stews.




The seeds have a fluffy parachute, similar to those of the Dandelion.



This is the stalk from Burdock. I had picked these to try and never got around to it. You put them in a batter of egg and flour and saute, as they do in Sicily. I harvested some seed and planted it, and then discovered that I have it all over the side area of our yard, so will be sure to try it next year.



These are the berries and raisins from Viburnum. The berries are very pleasant and
you pick the raisins from them right off the tree in late September. I have been adding them to granola. They are tiny, but a nice addition.




These are blue and black huckleberries, which taste similar to blueberries.



Now what I need to do is remember to keep track of the calendar for these tasty wild edibles. I have two new guidebooks that both have calenders for easier foraging.

"Wild Plants I Have Known and Eaten", by Russ Cohen (who led our foraging hike) is specifically about plants of our area.

"Edible Wild Plants, A North American Field Guide", by Thomas S. Elias and Peter A Dykeman, has terrific photographs of all the plants in it. It is one of the best guides I looked at since so many of them use only sketches. I find the photos so much easier to use for identifying purposes.

So now I am armed with the guides and information I need to get my foraging going first thing in the spring. This fall I was quite pleased with the mild weather as I have been out gathering lots of leaves from Dandelion, Plantain, Violets, and other spring greens for soups and stews. I have noted where these plants are coming up so that they don't get killed off or mowed down in the future.

No comments: