Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tap, tap, tapping

Have you ever heard a noise around your house that you could not identify? I have that happen on an irregular basis here. We have had bats in the attic, mice all over and with 5 cats and up to three dogs here at a time, there is bound to be noise all over, which there usually is.

But I am talking about the kind of noise that is not from inside your house, but from within it. In particular there was this tapping I would hear from time to time. I would scout out the location and see if one of the cats was into something, and never find anything. Well, it would get to be pretty persistent and I would go out to see if there was anything banging against the house, or in the attic. Last spring it got so persistent that I would have to stop my computer work to see if there was an animal trapped in my heating vents, or in the room right above me. Nothing.

I don't know why, but on one day when it was particularly loud, I went outside and saw a Downy Woodpecker pecking on the side of my house!! Found out they make a hole in cedar shingles to live in through the cold winter. Or they make holes to get at insects, which is not a good thing. In the spring I decided to not take any action as we found a bird size hole way up near the roof line and we concluded that it must have needed a safe place for the winter. Well, at the end of the summer i started hearing that tap-tap-tapping again. and this time it was on the back of the house.



I guess I need to think about looking into it eventually, as now our house is getting peppered with woodpecker holes!! But definitely, not happening anytime soon!! Too busy with more important things.


No comments: