Thursday, October 30, 2008

My new edible/perennial bed

This is the Spruce bed where I cleared out the inner plants for more edibles next year.




This close up shows just how much got taken out, leaving plenty of room for larger vegetable plants.



I've set up the fencing to outline the area and get it ready for mulching.





T
hese are the giant Hosta leaves, on the top layer, which I have cut just for this purpose.





Here is the completed bed all mulched and frosty after the first hard frost of the fall.



This is what the Spruce bed now looks like.





And this is the crab bed on the same day. This was prepared a week before the Spruce area.





And you can see that it has already settled to have of its original thickness. By the time I plant in the spring it will be a rich dark compost eagerly awaiting all the edibles it will nourish next year.


1 comment:

Babzina said...

Hello Dahling,
I cannot believe how different the gardens look!! Just amazing, thinking of you and what little time we could manage to spend over the warm months. Still cleaning the gardens and putting away the remainder of summah.
Hope to see you soon, as always, Love Babs
P.S. I cannot wait to start the hundreds of seeds for next year. :)