Friday, October 10, 2008

Late season caterpillars

Had a great surprise when I was harvesting my fennel seed heads.








Found not one but two caterpillars. They would be either an Anise Swallowtail or an Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillar. As I knew Kerrie had Fennel, I offered her the caterpillars to raise and hold over for next spring.



Had nice visit from Michelle and Gabe last week. When I found out that she had a little Spicebush I offered her the two Spicebush Swallowtail chrysalises that were in my sunroom needing a place to overwinter for a spring hatching. Wouldn't it be great if there was a male and female to get her started on her own Spicebush caterpillars?!!




Having the right host plants in your own gardens allows you the wonderful opportunity of raising so many wonders of nature.

3 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Hi Marna! I was just looking through the seeds you gave me today, and I realized if I don't dig a new flowerbed pronto, I'm going to be in trouble. :)

I looked up Eastern Wahoo, by the way, and I'm afraid the berries are poisonous to humans. But if you would like to grow some for the wildlife, I can mail you seeds.

marna said...

Hi Michelle, I think I'll pass on thoses Eastern Wahoo seeds. My front yard is littered with all the Dogwood berries that have fallen off the trees from all the birds jostling to get the best ones. We are overrun with all different birds trying to get at all the seeds. The cats are so enjoying sitting at the front door watching all the activity through our storm door. That storm door is great as on the sunny days I keep it open and it has been warming up the front of the house so that I haven't had to put the heat on yet. Our front door faces east so that the sun rises right through it!

I am so greatful to have my seed bed cclear out back. I have been planting lots and lots of seeds. I didn't realize how many I had collected until I started to get them into the ground. There will be so many plants that will need thinning in the spring. That will create lots of Freecycle offers for free plants come spring!
Have you decided which seeds you will winter over?

Michelle Clay said...

Haha, no problem! :) No, I don't yet know which seeds I'll grow. I may try some of each (and end up with plants to share with my neighbors!) Oh, do you recall if any of the seeds you gave me need to be planted after the danger of Spring frost?

thanks again!