Monday, October 13, 2008

A fond, fall THANK YOU

To all my gardening friends,

As fall is upon us it is a time of looking back on a great season and looking forward to the next.

I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your participation in this past gardening season. It was with a very timid step that I invited the first of you into my gardens. And it was with an even shakier hand that I dug the first of the oh so many plants that I gave away to you all.

I learned so much from the experience, and the most important thing gained was all the new friendships based on our common love of gardening.

Who knew that with just one email this incredible journey would evolve into such an amazing phenomenon.

So I am getting the gardens ready for their long winter nap, and am ruminating over all that the season brought to me.

And it all boils down to you, the people. It is never just the plants, the gardening, it is the people. That is what is the important thing here in my gardens, as well as in my life. Through this process, initiated by the Freecycle movement, I met over one hundred and forty of you and each one of you brought something into my life, just by your involvement in the process. Whether it was your friendship, your help in the gardens, your willingness to adopt my plants, or your email contacts, you have all enriched my life and I look forward to a continuing relationship with any of you looking for the same.

I have let my plants go to seed, and have planted many of them in the new seed bed for use next year.

Now I will have so many plants here in the spring that I am counting on many of you for thinning them out on a regular basis!

If you have been following my blog you already know that I have given up many of my prized mature plants to make room for more vegetables and other edibles next spring. I will be journaling this journey on my blog for any who are interested in learning about all the edibles that surround us and those we are able to grow within our perennial gardens.

In this economy we all need ways to economize and I am focusing my effort on raising more edibles to supplement our dependency on grocery stores, as well as educating myself on the wild edibles in this area.

My first gardening classes are coming to an end. It was very difficult to get a day that would work for all who were interested in classes. I'm hoping to be able to offer them again in the winter and spring. It will depend on the level of interest. We've had a great time exploring types of gardens, plants and ways of preparing new areas for sustaining productive gardens.

As I am so very busy getting all this gardening work done, I am finding I have less and less time for my daily post. In order to get in all the research needed before winter is upon us I will not be able to do a daily post. I am also back to having my grandkids more frequently and will soon be providing their daycare as my daughter is going back to work.

I will always have lots of information to share and lots of photos and stories to tell. I will keep the blog going, just not at the pace it has been all summer.

As always, I am very willing to answer any questions I am able to, and look forward to hearing from all of you. Questions can be directed to me through the COMMENT section of the blog. It is at the end of every post. I can answer them directly through this feature.

It is just a beautiful weekend, and I am chomping at the bit to get out and continue my gardening, so TTFN. Now that is an old saying, from the 60'S Ta Ta For Now!!!

--
Happy Gardening,
Marna

No comments: