Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back from vacation

Such a beautiful morning! As I am finding it difficult to get back into "home" mode, I decided to take a walk around the gardens this morning and see how all are doing. I brought my camera and took a great many photos. I was surprised to find some new blooms in the garden, of plants I thought I'd have to wait until next year to see their flowers again.

As I have a busy day ahead, I will have to wait until later to download the photos. I found myself snapping shots of all angles of the gardens, as there is so much going on around here gardenwise.

Yesterday morning I spent a few hours out in the raspberry and tomato patches, just weeding, and sorting through the various plants. I ended up cutting a piece of watermelon vine that was hiding a good sized watermelon under the tomatoes, of course, I found the fruit after I had cut the stem, in trying to free up the tomato plants of all the vines growing among them. Gone only a week, and so much growth after all the rains. Harvested several great tomatoes that had been awaiting our return. (We all enjoyed them with our dinner)

So, there is so much to do, and the season is starting to wind down in the gardens. I'm working with Mia on her gearing up for her Field Hockey, which starts this Thursday. School shopping almost finished, book, The Hobbit in process of being read, reports already begun for school on same. Where has the summer gone?? Her last before High School, and now the high school process has begun. So I am a little distracted from the gardens, and working my way out of "vacation mode."

I have taken pictures of many garden areas needing to be thinned out and am figuring out a plan for getting the work scheduled and planning for classes and fall garden plans.

I won't be scheduling any garden work before Saturday this week. I need to figure it all out.

Thank you to all who have welcomed me home already. IT was really nice to have those messages waiting for me when I got home.

I was so up in the mountains, the hotel didn't even have any computers for guests to use. I didn't realize how much I had taken great hotels for granted until this trip. I just assumed I would have a computer in my room as I needed anything. WRONG!!!

And now I need to get Mia to Karate, and then have sewing class - the girls are going to start dresses this week. I finally got a 4th machine working. Of the 6 machines I got from Freecycle, 3 did not work, which took a lot of my time to figure them out. Note to myself - next time I post a wanted message, I must remember to require that the item actually will work!! Or am I the only one who assumes that something through Freecycle would be in good working order?!!!??!!

Have a great day!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna,
I am glad you had some down time and can now focus on Mia. You gardens and you faithful followers will be here when you are ready. I am babysitting Wednesday - Saturday. I will have a day next week to help out.
Have a nice day!
Jeanne

Sheila DeCelle said...

Hello Marna

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful vacation. It is stressful when you go on vacation and you don't have access to a computer. Isn't it funny how dependent we have become with the computer and how it keeps us connected with the rest of the world! I would love to come and help you. I see that you are not ready this week but I can help out next week - Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Just let me know.

Enjoy this beautiful crisp day.

Sheila