Monday, August 4, 2008

Not all butterflies are perfect

So I had started this post and got sidetracked by my distractions. (Moments post)

As we have all experienced, nature is absolutely incredible! At its best, it is the most amazing thing to experience.

This post contains photos of mistakes that sometimes happen in nature. Be advised, you may not want your children to see them.

And sometimes it is not perfect. I had two experiences with butterfly hatchings that did not come with a happy ending.

With one caterpillar, I had taken a chrysalis out of the container to allow it to harden before moving it to another container. There had been another caterpillar on the same stem, seemingly getting ready to change to a chrysalis, also, I thought.

When I went in later to move them to a new container, one was a fully formed chrysalis, the other was MIA - missing in action, loose in my sunroom. Mia and I did a search, and could not find it.

A few days after the chrysalis had become a butterfly and been released, I found a crumpled butterfly limping along the sunroom floor. Its wings had hardened, so there was nothing I could do to help it.




I'm not sure what caused the damage, but it was clear this butterfly would never be able to fly.





I did what I could to keep him comfortable, gave him fresh flowers and honey water in a cotton ball. He did not live long.

The second butterfly was found at the bottom of the container crumpled up on its wings. As this had just happened, I decided to try to help it out. In the past I have been successful in helping injured newly emerged butterflies get their improperly folded up wings into proper alignment, with a successful takeoff and release.

You can see that the wing has not completely unfolded as it should have. Part of it was stuck together on both sides.


One side involved just the lower wing, while the other involved both upper and lower wings. Here I start the laborious process of working to straighten out the wings. These wings are very delicate and thinner than the thinest paper you have ever seen. They are not dry so they have some pliability, and if positioned properly can dry into the right shape. I work ever so gently to straighten out the wing, and anchor the parts as I get them into the correct shaping. First the upper wing,



then the lower. This is very stressful for the butterfly. I talk to it throughout the process, my husband and Mia lending helping hands for the entire process, which lasted over an hour in this case. it's somewhat what I imagine it to be like in an operating room. Someone passing the needed tools, holding an outstretched wing, as necessary, lending moral support.




Here I'm using a glasses case to gently roll out the sing, fighting to stay in a gnarled up position.



It's looking like I have had some manner of success, the butterfly's wings seemingly coming into the intended shape. I tenderly position it in a way for it to try out the newly repaired appendages.



This side is looking good




trying to align the two upper wings here



It is holding all wings as anticipated.

But alas, it only last two days, never making it to a release.

I have saved the following e-mails to share with you at a time more appropriate, which is now. I gave two of the Anise Swallowtail caterpillars to two gardeners who had transplanted the host plant, Fennel, from my garden to theirs in May. One of the caterpillars had a successful metamorphosis, and was released a beautiful healthy butterfly. The other did not. And such is nature, totally unpredictable.

Here follows this family's experience with a not so perfect butterfly, which Wyatt had named "Fred."

So we've figured out that he seems to be a black swallowtail and Wyatt has named him Fred. :)

it looks like Fred is not quite a hatchling but not yet ready to make his chrysalis (no spikes on his upper torso but not quite plump and green enough to be ready for a chrysalis). That is perfect because Wyatt has just about the right amount of patience to wait for him to develop. I'm actually hoping that Fred is a Francis instead as I really like the blue torso of the female butterfly...time will tell.
I read that the swallowtail like parsley as well, I have some in my garden, should I give him some to see if he likes it?
I also read that it likes a slanted twig to make it's chrysalis on, should I wait a while before getting one to put in there?
Thanks again for this exciting opportunity!
:)
Alicia


... down together. Your garden is growing so beautifully...both figuratively and spiritually. You have an exuberant spirit! Anyway, Fred (the caterpillar), Wyatt and I are also going to bed now and you were absolutely correct...Fred definitely appears to be an anise ...


Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:21:14 PM

Hey Marna,

BTW, Fred is in his cocoon and we're waiting patiently for his emergence.
:)
Alicia

----- Original Message ----
From: Alicia
Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:12:18 AM
Subject: Re: caterpillars

Hey Marna,
My brother called me this morning to let me know that Fred 'hatched' this morning after I let for work. When wyatt gets home we'll let him go. Should I have my brother put anything in the box for him to eat/drink until tonight? Is there a particular flower I should put him near or just around the fennel so he can find it later? No prob on using us in your blog...Wyatt will love that he's famous! H
:)
Alicia



From: Marna
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:37:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: caterpillars
Congratulations -
you have just become a mother, again!! Nothing needs to be done today - it will need to get its wings dried out - they take a long time fluttering and moving around during this process - by tonight the wings should be nice and dry - They will not do anything with fennel - It is only the host plant food for the caterpillar. The butterfly needs butterfly food - you can soak a cotton ball in sugar or honey water and leave it in with it, or pick a flower you know they will eat from - like Bee Balm, I'm not sure what you have, so can't say for sure - Is your Liatris in bloom yet - they love it- It is best to release it in the morning, on a sunny day - I usually wait until at least the 2nd day or long er to release it . If you take it into the bathroom and let Wyatt hold it, he will love it!! Just have him hold his hand out and put it on there - These ones are a bit skittish, and it probably won't stay there for long - Just gently collect it with your hand surrounding it in its wing-upright position.


Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:47:57 PM
Subject: Re: caterpillars

Thanks for the info. I don't think I have liatris or bee balm. Two of the butterfly/ladybug plants I had died off. Right now what's blooming for me is the jerusalem artichoke, sunflowers, pansies, I think that's it...can I buy bee balm at the local greenhouse? I'll try on the way home.

Thanks as always,
Love,
Alicia

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:51:34 -0700 (PDT)
To:
Subject: Re: caterpillars
Don't buy the bee balm - the others are probably fine - just use the cotton ball tonight - it will find what it needs on its own. Have a great 4th.. Love, Marna -



Great! We'll do the cotton ball. enjoy your fourth!
:)
Alicia

Will do. BTW, so far only one of fred's wings is straightened...the other is all balled up at his belly. Hopefully by morning he'll get it taken care of, he's working on it now.
:)
Love,
Alicia

Hey Marna,
So apparently the butterfly is not going to fix his other wing. From some online research I did I found out that likely he fell from the crysalis after emerging and couldn't straighten his wing. They said that since it's now dried there's nothing we can do to fix it. I have him on a cotton ball with sugar right now but he doesn't seem to be feeding. Let me know if you know of any ways to help him.
Thanks
Alicia

Sent: Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:51:08 AM

Hey Marna,
I'd love some bleeding heart sprouts. Mine died earlier this season. Your white one is so beautiful, I don't remember your pink one but I'd love to give it's little sprouts some soil to grow in.
I still haven't looked at that list of butterfly plants...just been a busy week. I'll get to it soon.
We took Fred out to one of the flower patches for a walk yesterday. I was hoping that a male might find her but there weren't any other butterflies around. She's still doing great on her diet of fresh flowers so far.
Thanks
Alicia

ate: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 06:59:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Alicia - won't have bleeding heart sprouts til fall or spring - pink is from other gardeners!! Great to hear Fred is having such a full life with you!!

PS Fred was never released, but for his short life had a wonderful family surrounding him!!

2 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Thank you for inspiring Chris and I to look for, and raise, a monarch caterpillar! http://thecluelessgardeners.blogspot.com/2008/08/monarch-butterfly-aka-danaus-plexippus.html

marna said...

It was great seeing the pictures of your first experience with the Monarch metamorphosis process! It is just such an amazing thing to be able to experience.