Friday, August 1, 2008

Peonies

It has been about 13 weeks since I started this gardening journey. Sharing my garden with so many wonderful people. Who would have thought?? That I would have such an incredible asset at my immediate beck and call. That I would be able to find a way to reach so many different people, in so many different ways, and on so many levels!!
Such an amazing process! And one that has taken so much energy to develop and sustain. And so much continuously renewed energy coming from within to do it all!!
Finally spent time in the gardens, by myself, taking a closer look of all that is evolving, getting to the actual grunt work, the digging, the cleaning up, pruning, decisions, what will stay, what will be let go for adoption.
This past week I worked with my peonies.
Usually by this time the foliage has been withered and already cut down to the ground. As I got ready to do this cut back, I realized that the foliage was not all prepared to be dismissed so readily. As I cut back the withered blossom stems which did not produce seed pods, I saw that there was plenty of great looking foliage wanting to be showcased.


So I decided to just cut back the withered stems and leaves, leaving the foliage below to have a chance to be seen by all, for as long as they want. Time to get out and get photos of these plants, if I can stay out of the sprinkler's path!! Didn't happen, got wet, but it was worth the photo!! Isn't this nice looking foliage with the maturing seed pods?



It is interesting to note that not all blossoms produce seed pods. Here the blossom on the left produced only one meager pod, while the one on the right had four great pods expanding daily. I am definitely learning alot about seeds this year.




It has been a fascinating process, to let all the plants go to seed. From one plant to another, and even on the same plants there is variation it the development of the seed pods. Some of the pods are staying very uniform within the same stem, while others are not.


Upon further research I am finding out that I need to leave several varieties of seed pods on the plant to develop fully. For some, such as Columbine, the seed pods do not change size. Once they are set, the seeds inside just dry out and then are ready to use.
For the Peony, the seed pods start out very small and grow as the seeds inside develop and grow bigger.
Some of the seed pods are very uniform on the same stem,


while others are not.



It will be very interesting to see how they continue to develop. I have only had one peony plant reseed itself, and then I only got one little plant!



I will need to check on them regularly to see when the pods are ready to be collected. I am hoping that does not happen while I am away, as I want to be able to offer seeds to those wanting to try them. I will set them with the netting to keep them on the plants. But not knowing if they are the "exploding -type seed pods, like Lupine, or Impatiens, it will be a learning experience for me to see them evolve.



The Peony plants differ from the Tree Peonies, which have created star shaped seed pods, growing outward at varying rates.


If we succeed in growing these varieties from seed, it will be a great benefit to those wanting these rare trees.


I was real happy to find this Double Orange Daylily still blooming almost two weeks after the "accidents"! Such perseverance!!










No comments: