Friday, November 7, 2008

Autumn color

The variety of colors appearing in the gardens in the fall is just amazing. As this was my first full year back to gardening in quite a while everything seems new all over again. But, then, that's the way it is in a New England garden! Each year we have it all new all over again! We get to rejoice in all our successes and learn from any disappointments. As I try to stay more in the moment on a daily basis, I have not thought ahead to what the changes in seasons will be bringing. I am just letting it all unfold and present itself to me!

This is one of my favorite sights in nature. The color RED!!!!




It used to be my ultimate favorite color, so that I have included it wherever possible in the gardens. Over the years purple and bright pink have usurped red in my color preferences, but they are, after all in the same family.
The above red leaves are from the colorful Burning Bushes, Euonymous compacta, in the front of the gardens. This shrub always can be counted on for a spectacular display of color in the fall. As I have a whole hedge of them along the front of our yard, the effect can be breathtaking.





Here is a Burning Bush which is ahead of the others in changing to its scarlet hue among the Rugosa Roses and Butterfly Bush.




This season I found a rival to the red Burning Bushes with this white Dogwood. I don't remember it being such a vivid red in the past.




Here is another view of the brilliant Dogwood, to the right of a flaming Burning Bush. And to the left of that is a burgundy leaved pink Dogwood. How interesting that there is such a difference in the leaf colors of the two Dogwoods, and they are so near to each other.




Here is my wonderful red Dogwood, that is in the front of the house. Such a beautiful red when in bloom,



and such a contrast in the autumn with its burgundy leaves.





This is another view of the red leafed Dogwood. To its right is my purple Smokebush, Cotinus.




It is the only bush that I know of that has purple leaves throughout the entire gardening season.




What a wonderful sight to see flowers still blooming last week. These are roses




and here are the Clara Curtis Daisies, Chrysanthemum rubellum, which are the last flowers to bloom in my gardens each year.




What a great background this Blue Spruce creates for the Blueberry Bush which is turning red.



I moved several Blueberry Bushes out to the front lawn to see if they will do better in the full sun next year. With them in the woods and back gardens, I never noticed that they become such a great color in the fall.




Such a great selection of fall colors all around the front gardens.





The Spicebush turned to a wonderful lime greenish-yellow before dropping all its leaves. I am waiting for its berries to ripen so that I can harvest them and grind them for use in place of Allspice in several recipes.


6 comments:

hero爺 said...

What a wonderfull sights you have!
Nature is greate.

marna said...

HI Hero! Good to hear from you. Do you have fall color in Japan?

hero爺 said...

marna san
Yes, we have it in here.

Before I watch your fall color, I thought we can be proud of Japan fall color.

However your garden is very beautifull. So I can not.

Of course, if you are in some sightseeing area of Japan, you can see beautifull view.

The following URL is one of example.
http://takakuwas.exblog.jp/

Michelle Clay said...

Lovely!

I regret that I have been too busy to document the Autumn colors this year! Gabe has been requiring all of my attention. :)

Michelle Clay said...

Hero - wow! You make me wish that I could visit Japan! Those landscapes are stunning!

marna said...

Hi Michelle - Nothing is more important than the time we spend on/with our children. Having them changes our whole perspective on life, and definitely shifts our priorities. Isn't it great that there will always be next year as far as nature goes.