Friday, November 21, 2008

Late season bounty/blooms

Isn't it wonderful how growth continues even when least expected. After the first frosts I found myself in awe of all that continued to grow and produce!




This tomato plant was on the south side of the house and produced for one month beyond the others which were in front of the house on the east side. The difference in these positions is that the south side gets more sun. By mid day the trees shade the front, but not the south side! So we had prolonged tomatoes on the south. Only problem is that the south side is where my house filters has its outflow, which is very salty water, so that I am unable to plant much there. I will have to remember to plant a tomato there each year since it worked out so well this past season. Aha - just had a thought! That spot where it is so salty will be perfect for my little portable greenhouse!



This is New England Aster, which is still trying to produce complete flowers, without great success!! but still, it got my attention!



This is purple Closed Gentian, Gentiana clausa, a native which is a late season bloomer, also known as Bottle Gentian.

No comments: