Thursday, November 13, 2008

Evening Primrose, tasty edible??

Evening Primrose, Oenothera biennis, is also known as King's Cure-all or common Evening PRimrose. As it is a biennial, it starts growing the first year and then sends up its flower stalk the second, seeds and dies off. In my gardens it comes up all over, so much so that I have usually just pulled it out whenever it gets to widespread. Well, with my research on edibles, I found out that it is indeed edible. As it was so late in the season I was unable to try the young leaves, but found out that the root is edible between the first and second year, which is right now. SO I found a few, and dug them up.
THis is what the plant looks like right now in my garden.




The roots are nothing like the carrot like root I am used to with the parsnips I have grown in the past. It turns out that the ones I dug up did not always look alike. Some had fingers going every which way and one looked very much like a radish. So I followed the directions and simmered a few for 20 minutes, and found that I did not like the taste at all. One of the guides suggest it may have a strong flavor. I'll say. My lips just did not want anything to do with the contact. So I followed another suggestion which was to boil them in two changes of water. It toned down the taste a great deal, and it was almost a pleasant taste, but I'm not sure I will want to go to the trouble.




I have not ruled it out in the future. Maybe I will give it another try next year, when I have more patience to give it the double boiling. I am finding other edibles much easier to prepare and much more tasty. So the jury is out on this one

2 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Interesting about the edibility, and too bad about the taste!

The evening primrose seeds that I planted last fall grew in abundance this year, and one of them even flowered a year early. With any luck I'll have a big crop of seeds next winter for the birds. Gold finches LOVE these seeds! You can see the pods get progressively more chewed open as the winter comes along.

marna said...

I have seen Evening Primrose grow into very large shrubs, which add interest to any garden.Good to know about the Goldfinch liking the seeds, although I will probably be harvesting the plant parts and root, if I find them more tasty next year(!) on many of them. Now I will need to leave some just for the birds!!