Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Daylilies

One of my favorite plants is the Daylily, Hemerocallis. They grow wild in my woods and I have planted several different varieties in all shapes and colors over the years. What a great surprise to learn how versatile this plant is. This is a double orange specimen.



Five different parts of this plant are edible.

According to Russ Cohen, author of "Wild Plants I Have Known... and Eaten", you should start with a modest amount as a small segment of the population (less than 5%), will experience stomach upset. The first par that is edible is the yellowish-tan starchy tubers underground at the base of the plant. These tubers are edible raw, or cooked like a potato (baked, mashed or boiled).



I can attest to the attributes of these tubers, as when I boil a few they last no time at all when my grandkids are here. They just love the sweet potatoey taste, and can't get enough of them. They enjoy digging up the plants to see how many tubers we can find. For this plant, you just have to lift the tubers up with a pitchfork and remove the yellowish ones you will be eating and then reposition the plant to where it was. It will continue growing and keep producing more tubers. It is a very easy process.

I found a large patch of Daylilies growing in a vacant lot next door and lifted several and moved them to a spot right in front of my house. As that is where my septic tank is, the heat it generates keeps that area with growing
plants all year round. I planted several all around the tank and expect to be able to harvest them even in the dead of winter. I will let you know how that goes. I have Thyme growing right over the tank and have been able to snip it all winter to use in cooking, so I expect the tubers to be available as well.

This photo shows a Day Lily heart, the tender inner growth at the center of each developing cluster of leaves. i can be eaten raw or used like scallions.




In order to do this it requires cutting it out of the base of the plant. I have replanted a few of the root masses from ones I cut the hearts out of. I'm not sure it the plant will regrow as such, so I did not take too many of them. I will experiment with it more int eh spring when I can watch how it rebounds.



Day Lily flower buds, flowers and wilted flowers are all edible also. Saute the buds in butter for a few minutes and you get a vegetable that is similar to green beans. The flower petals have an oniony taste. They can be used just as they are, mixed into a salad or fried in batter. (Have you ever done this with squash flowers?? Nothing better)
The wilted flowers are great to add to coups or stews to add body and flavor.
I have used the flowers frequently as additions to salads in season. I find there is a variance in taste with different colors, but thy are all edible regardless of color or whether wild or cultivated. Now I have learned that other parts are also edible. The buds are edible, when half to nearly full size. the flowers can be used either when fully opened or wilted. And the tubers, those short fingerlike tubers, produce rounded ends that are very delectable!

Dried Day Lily flowers are a standard ingredient in such Chinese dishes as Moo Shu and Hot and Sour Soup.
I am looking forward to trying the buds and wilted flowers next season.

Keep in mind that I have plenty of the common orange Day Lilies and would be willing to pass some along to any who want some.

No comments: