Friday, November 21, 2008

Microclimate

My blue Spruce is a magnificent tree. It has grown so fast that I have been compelled had to move plants regularly from the low spreading branches. In driving around the area, I would always look at similar trees to see how I liked them with or without the bottom branches. I have cut the very lowest branches off when they were dragging on the ground.
In his book on Permaculture, Toby Hemenway talks about microclimates. It is the space created under the canopy of a tree when the bottom branches are removed. Due to the shelter provided by the tree branches a snug haven is created where plants can benefit from warmer temperatures during the cold weather, and shade protection from the summer's hot sun. As I had not thought about it in that light in the past I decided to cut off the lower branches for just that purpose.
This is the lower section showing how the Spruce is smothering the plants at its base, each year growing further outward and forcing the removal of everything in its path. Here the Lamb's Ear is struggling to survive under the weight of the Spruce's branches.




And here is a Peony reaching outward to get away from the Spruce.





I couldn't find a picture of the full Spruce before I started to trim the bottom branches, but here it is in the middle of this season with the lower branches removed to give the above plants some breathing room.





This shows how I would typically remove the plants that were getting crowded out by the branches above.





On this side of the Spruce I had even thinned one side of a Hydrangea to give its branches more room to grow.



In reexamining all the gardens, I decided to forego those lower branches to keep from having to remove the smaller plants around the tree in favor of creating a microclimate beneath the Spruce. Next spring I will move my Lady Slipper there as well as other plants that will benefit from the shelter of the Spruce.





As I removed the branches, I noticed mushrooms growing under the tree, so I am thinking that would be a great spot to buy some edible mushrooms and cultivate my own supply!



For my final garden chores, I made it possible to navigate this new edible bed by trimming the ends of the branches that kept poking me in the eye while I was doing the sheet mulching. This is the final result.

No comments: