Saturday, November 15, 2008

Seeds planted this fall and new plant markers



I made good use of the seed bed which was so generously cleared out by many fellow gardeners this summer. It took me much longer than anticipated to get seeds planted as there was just so much to get done this year. My rows of plantings are covered by leaves for the long winter's rest. The leaves will give some added protection against the harsh winter conditions, but will need to be raked off once the soil warms up in the spring to allow the seeds to grow. Before the leaves fell you can see some of the seeds were starting to grow. These are Cleomes.



I made good use of the Venetian blinds i got through Freecycle. I cut the slats into about 6 inch pieces and labeled them each twice, once for above the ground and once fro below. By writing on them below ground level, that marking will not get washed off by the weather and I will be able to identify them first thing in the spring.



Usually my labels get all wiped out from the weather and I have to wait until things have come up before knowing what it is. And then I can't identify the color until it blooms. This way, thanks Jeanine for this great suggestion, I will be able to know early on just exactly what it is and what color it will be!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job Marna!!
I started a plant traders group today on Yahoo. Similar to Freecycle, but JUST plants/seeds/gardening tools...if anyone is interested. I know our gardens are resting right now, but next Spring I am sure we will really get busy. So much fun to trade plants with others and make our yards beautiful!! -Sara

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PlantTradersFranklin