Monday, December 22, 2008

A bird playing in the snow

Early yesterday morning there was not a sound to be heard, not even a mouse. Looked out to the glory of the snowfall and caught a movement in the distance. Upon closer look, helped by my glasses, I saw it was a small bird, playing in the snow. It flitted around on the ground and up and down among the low branches.

"Aha," I wondered, "Will it keep playing while I go find the camera?"

To my delight, it did. To my frustration, taking the picture through the window proved a disaster.
The flash reflected off the window and ruined the shot. Not to be deterred, I figured I needed to get out into the weather to get the hoped for shot. Went to the sunroom and peeked my head out - the location was blocked from sight!

Went to the cellar and out the door, with snow on the
steps, I brushed it aside with my slipper - minus coat, hat and mittens. I reached around the hottub and got the bird in sight. Lucky for me it had stayed playing. Got my photo, froze in the process, but all worth the effort as I captured such a nice sight!



Turns out it was a Slate-colored Junco - I had to wait until later in the day when a group of them came around the house to get bird seed we threw out on top of the snow.

Unable to get a clear close up. Tried my new digital binocular camera that's been sitting around for months. Got photos downloaded, with new software. Hit the wrong key and deleted them all!! Will try again another day!!


So now I had started, couldn't leave it at that. Had to get more photos, more sights to be seen, put on my boots and went out just like that. (in pj's!!) LOL

Forgot that it was so cold - only 10 degrees. Got my photos quick as a wink!!

The Juncos were the only birds out yesterday, in the snow and then in the rain. They are very skittish. Katelyn and I threw out bird seed on the steps, but she kept getting too excited when they ventured any closer and she kept scaring them off!! We settled for watching them from a distance through the windows!

No comments: