Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A path into the woods

Here is the start of yet another new path.



We are surrounded by thick woods on two sides. At this time of year I can easily see into the woods, almost to the brook which divides us from the next lot on the south side. Interesting, right at this moment I can't remember the name of the brook. AHA!! Looked it up on our map it is Meadow Brook. It goes into Crocker Pond, which is a great conservation area off Route 1.

This is pretty much what the surrounding woods look like from any given point around the yard. I have never cleared the area as I have first and foremost wanted it to be available to all the creatures abiding with us here on our little plot of God's earth. This is at the end of the season with all the greenery gone for the winter.




And this is what it looks like at the beginning of the season. By mid summer the wild flowers/weeds get to be upwards of six to seven feet tall, making it very difficult to find your footing to travel inwards.




SO, this past season I got to spend time browsing around the woods, exploring all the flora, seeing what is all about in my own little wetlands. It is very hard to get the area without climbing over and under all sorts of growing things. As I was getting into paths this year, I thought how great it would be to be able to traverse the woods more easily with a set path. Then I could even have an established way in for others to be able to enjoy all that it has to offer (and keep them on a path, and off the delicate plants within)!

So when I was collecting granite for my endeavors I noticed a pile of oval pieces which were from the sinks being formed. And I had one of those light bulb moments! I thought of what great stepping stones they would make for a path into the woods!!




This path will be extended throughout the woods, thanks to the generosity of a wonderful granite supplier.



This is a beautiful section of ferns which are such a beautiful sight on a hot sunny summer day!



And this bed of Flat Topped Aster is so much fun to enjoy!




I will also be needing to do some pruning of dead growth during the process, then it will be much easier to get around! LOL!!



Mia and I had done some this year, but there is always more to be able to look forward to.




And on this snowy day, I look out on the woods and think of the hours I will be spending there in only a few short months!! And the thought that I will now be able to share it with others is the icing on the cake!!

STAY WARM!!!!!

No comments: