Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Pit of Oblivion

I have discovered a new place in my brain. I am calling it the Pit of Oblivion. It is the place where my "to do" thoughts go to. I'll be thinking of something that I just must get done. I mull it over a little, unable to figure out how or when I will get it done. Next thing I know, I can't remember what it was I was so intent on getting done, nor am I able to access the information. Kind of like working on something on word processing and forgetting to save the file. Well I never even named the file in the first place, let alone saved it!!

So it went to that place, no longer able to be accessed where all our "need to do" thoughts go so that we don't get stressed about not being able to do them.

AND, I am realizing, if it was that important, I would have done it in the first place!!

It's sort of like Maya Angelou's phrase, "You don't know how much you don't know."

I think of that phrase whenever I want to convey information to someone that they really don't need to hear from me, but would be better off learning it for themselves.

Like when my older daughter was pregnant with her first child, and thought that because she had gone through two miscarriages she knew exactly what it was going to be like to deliver a baby. Of course after she went through the first baby she did find out that she really had had no idea of what it would be like.

As a mother don't we want to be able to help our children through all of what we know they have to experience? So, I am sixty and finally getting the message that they have to do it in their own way and in their own time. But hey, wouldn't it be great to be able to help them through it a bit??!! LOL

1 comment:

Michelle Clay said...

:) I'm just getting started on this parenthood journey, and already I can see how tough it will be to stand back and let Gabe make his own mistakes!