Sunday, December 28, 2008

Gifts from the heart


My older daughter is somewhat fussy about her things. She knows what she does and doesn't like. I am not always sure. I kind of sway whichever way the wind is blowing some days.

I love making things for people. I find it very boring to go shopping to buy gifts. When making a gift for someone, I find myself focusing on that person while the process is underway. I think about what I am doing and how much joy it gives me to be sharing myself with that other
person. I have gotten into the habit of making items throughout the year for kids for the upcoming Christmas. When I was fostering and having a house full of kids for the holidays, I had no time for much individual time for any one child. They all needed more than any one person could have given. I did the best that I could. But when I had long term kids here I found that they loved having me make things just for them. So I would make small lap afghans in their favorite colors for Christmas. I wish I could scan one of the pictures of 5 or six girls on Christmas morning, holding up their afghans for a photo op, with such joyous smiles on their faces.

I am now finding it very difficult to come up with new ideas of things to make for Mia since she has had so many hand made gifts over the almost 12 years that she has been in our lives.

That's right, it will be twelve years on December 26
th since Mia first came. And I am now reminded what it is that I wanted to do for her for Christmas.

Finish her book. I wrote her a book a few years back and never got around to getting the binding done as I had lost the full use of both hands after a fall. Well, I have now had the corrective surgeries and now need to finish it for her to have in final form.

Now it is December 27. I never had the time to do the book, but we will work on it together. We worked together on baked items for friends and family for the holidays.

A lesson I learned was not to try out a new recipe on December 24th. It may not turn out the way you want it!!!

No comments: