Friday, December 26, 2008

Mia, this one's for you

Dear, sweet, Mia,
As I thinking about Christmas I was reminded of a very special Christmas so many years ago......

I was in the middle of a post and this is how it progressed.
.......
I am now finding it very difficult to come up with new ideas of things to make for Mia since she has had so many hand made gifts over the almost 12 years that she has been in our lives.

That's right, it will be twelve years on December 26th since Mia first came. And I am now reminded what it is that I wanted to do for her for Christmas.

Finish her book. I wrote her a book a few years back and never got around to getting the binding done as I had lost the full use of both hands after a fall. Well, I have now had the corrective surgeries and now need to finish it for her to have in final form.


Every year I used to tell her what it was like for me to have her arrive on our doorstep on the day after Christmas. And it evolved into a book.

This is her story:


(Prologue)

This book is written for Mouy Lim, My sweet Mia, My Christmas Angel! You started this book One day you said, "Mommy, tell me about the "Christmas Angel"." And you kept asking & asking & asking.......

(dedication) To:
The most precious angel on earth. You have brought such love, joy & laughter Into my life. You have touched countless people with your smile, Your warmth, and your boundless love, For all of life & everything in this universe. No matter where you are or what you do, You are so well loved and are so loving that Everyone who comes in contact with you Will also be given the gift of knowing "My Christmas Angel." You have the spirit of an ageless sage, blessed with a compassionate heart.

You are so well loved & Love so well in return.
You have become my daughter Nothing can ever change our bond.
How much do I love you?

Bigger than the whole, wide, world,
Now & Forever.
12-26-00

(many of the pages go with accompanying photos)

My Christmas Angel



Just before Christmas
in 1996, the phone rang.

It was DSS
.
They wanted to know
if we would take a little girl, two years old.
They told us she would
come to live with us the day after Christmas.
Her name was
Mouy Lim.

We said YES

The other girls
in our house were so excited!!

Grandpa Bear
was so excited.

We were
SO EXCITED WE COULD NOT WAIT!!!

We wrote a letter to Santa Claus
to let
him know we were getting a
new
little girl the day after Christmas.

Dear Santa Claus

We are so excited!

Mouy Lim is a two year old girl

who is coming to live with us the

day after Christmas.
Can you bring
some toys for her?
We don't know
what she wants, but
I'm sure she
would like a doll & a
teddy bear.
Thank you , Santa.
Love,
Marna

On Christmas morning we found presents
under our tree that
Santa Claus had left,
for Mouy Lim.

On the day after Christmas


the doorbell rang.

I opened the door,


and there, in Marlene's, (the caseworker) arms,
was
little Mouy Lim, with her black fly-away hair,
in a
big high pony tail, with her bigger brother's
sneakers
on her tiny feet, and his too big jacket
on to keep her warm
on such a cold winter's day.

With Mouy Lim were her
two big sisters,
Sarith
and Juliet, who came along to meet
us and to see where
their baby sister would
be living.
Sarith and Juliet were happy to
see
Mouy Lim's nice new home and to
meet her
nice new family.

We sat at the dining room
table,
so that Juliet could tell me
what
I needed to know about
Mouy Lim.

Sammy and Crystal took Mouy Lim
and her sisters in to
see the Christmas
tree, with the
presents Santa had left for her.

I picked up Mouy Lim,
and held
her in my arms.
Such a tiny
little sweetheart!

we brought everyone upstairs,


to see Mouy Lim's new bedroom.


we showed them the
living room playroom.

We went down cellar,

to show her the cellar playroom.


Before going back upstairs,

I had to turn off the lights.

One of the lights has a light
chain,
and in order to turn it
off
you have to pull the chain.


When I pulled the chain
to
turn off the light,
Mouy Lim
looked up at
the light with
big questioning eyes.
It was as if she said,
"Hey, what happened?"!!

So I pulled the light chain

to turn the light back on
and
I said, "On."

Mouy Lim's whole face
started to light up!

Then I took her hand
and
put it on the light chain
and
I told her she could do it.
She pulled it
and I said, "Off"
as the light went off!
She got very excited
and pulled
the chain again and again,
and
as the light went on and off,
I said,
"on" and "off"
and her face
got all lit up
and her eyes got
big and bright,
and she looked
at me,
and I gave her a hug and
a kiss
and I looked at her .......


And
that is when
I fell in love with ...............

My
Christmas Angel!


Post script: In February, 2002 we obtained permanent custody, after a long court battle.

On May 4, 2006 we adopted our sweet Mia.

No comments: