Monday, December 29, 2008

The wonder of snow in a winter garden


A few photos to share from the snowfall last week. Remember the Clematis blooming on this?



Now my Climbing Hydrangea is all snuggled in under this blanket of snow!




Wouldn't you know that our cat Pia would get left out in the snow??!! She hunkered in in a warm spot in our storage area under the sunroom.




What a beautiful contrast this Yucca makes all buried in snow. A few of its stems are floundering under the weight of the snow, but will pop back upright as soon as it melts.



You can just make out the lighthouse bird feeder which has been very busy on a snowy day, with all the traffic to and from the trees!!



We are surrounded by such splendor, all wrapped up in snow!




This is the view from the sunroom. Isn't it great that I was able to get all these photos by just running in and out in my pj's?




Finally donned my boots and a light poncho to find photos to take. Here's my sheet mulching, all smothered, and I imagine glowing below with all the moisture and weight!! At this point we had about 8-10 inches of snow, with more to come the next day!!



Now tell me if you could find a more beautiful sight! Look at this stately Spruce, all bundled in snow! It's framed by the red Crab Apple. This is as pristine as it gets, before hubby gets to have a go at it with his snow blower!



This is the view from the front door. Our poor stunted white Dogwood, really shows up in the winter, but the reason for the stunting will be for another post. Notice how the Rhododendron leaves uphold the show! Those are the red shrub roses on the sides of the Dogwood and the Yucca is beyond. You can just make out the pink Tree Peony to the right of the trunk.




And in the distance towards the left are the raspberry bushes that I did not do anything with in the fall. I will prune them down in the spring, when I can distinguish between new and old plants.



This is the large Pine just behind the pool. You can see how it is overburdened by the show, dragging its branches down to the ground. This is a pretty typical situation around the gardens after a heavy snow. And when it is wet, it gets to be a problem. (This will also be in a future post) Right now I am trying to stay with the beauty of snow, not the problems it brings.



This pine next to the Climbing Hydrangea looks so tiny under the snow. It is actually now taller than Mia, which makes it 5 feet plus! You can see all the Hydrangea branches going this way and that, especially at the bottom of the tree!




Here's that splendid Butterfly Bush which was always covered in butterflies and Hummingbird Moths just a few months ago! Several of the lower branches are completely stuck down to the ground by the snow. When hubby plows the driveway the snow blower just flings its all up into the air, landing on this poor specimen. When the snow melts quickly it does not create a problem, but when it lingers, .......




Here's the Red Twig Dogwood, which is right between the Hydrangeas along my front path. This is one of the best shrubs fro New England.



For when it snows the red branches make a beautiful showing! This close up gives a closer view.




This is one of the Hydrangeas I moved in the fall to right in front of the front door. you can see the new buds which have formed right at the ends of the stems. These will be producing those beautiful blue or pink flowers next spring.



Wow! There is a lot to see in my winter gardens. I find that I notice so much more when I have camera in hand. This winter is becoming an adventure in and of itself. An adventure to see all that the winter has to present to me.

1 comment:

Michelle Clay said...

I love the photo of the yucca up to its neck in snow, haha!