Monday, December 1, 2008

A chilly Prickly Pear

Eastern Prickly Pear, Opuntia humifusa is a contradictory plant here in New England. It is a cactus, which you normally think of as growing in the desert. Well this cactus has adapted to survive in our New England weather! There was a recent article in our local paper, the Sun Chronicle by Lee Reich, for the Associated Press, about these great plants. They are native only to the Americas, but are all over the world now. They bask in blazing sun, and are a great compliment to Sedum, Thyme and Lavender.

I was especially glad that I caught this article as it prepared me for the sight I found walking around the gardens last week. This cactus has a definite reaction to the frosty weather up here in the Northeast. The flat pads of the plants begin to look piqued as they shrivel and discolor. As this is my first season with this great plant I might have thought the frost had killed if off had I not read this article. Instead I now know that this is typical behavior and that they will perk up again next spring!! Just don't let it get covered with leaves as it will rot.

Doesn't this guy look like he is completely done in?? The Indian Blanket, Gaillardia at its feet is in much better shape.