Monday, April 20, 2009

Blueberry bed

Looking up from the hedge, this is the area where the Blueberries are going.




And this is the view towards the hedge. Such a large area of lawn.




I started by just transplanting bushes to the area.




I also moved all the roses left around the front gardens to bring out a new bed in front of the hedge.




I moved two established Blueberry bushes that I had purchased from the back gardens. They had not done well as they were in very overcrowded ares, without the benefit of full sun.





I also moved a Snowberry bush, a Crabapple seedling from my large Red Crabapple by the driveway, a Peegee Hydrangea that was crowded out of the hedge and Highbush blueberries from the woods.





I added a Butterfly Bush that had been residing in the Daylily bed at the end of the area.




Then I put fabric down on the grass around them and piled on leaves shredded by the lawnmower in the fall. As long as it is a natural fiber, fabric works as a great layer to keep out weeds/lawn growth, just like newspapers or landscaping cloth.


From this view you can see the start of my new veggie beds.


No comments: