Sunday, April 19, 2009

Change is coming


This is the view you all got to enjoy last year in the gardens. This huge expanse of lawn has been dwindling ever so slowly over the past 22 years! It started with the area down by the street. We put in the Burning Bush/Privet hedge, then planted Rugosa Roses and Creeping Juniper. As the Juniper got overrun by native plants and ivies, Sheila and Jimmie transplanted it to their gardens, where it was enjoyed all winter long by their resident deer!! How nice to have provided a winter feast for the taking - or should I say, eating!!

Obviously we are still working on their deer problem!!

I took over more lawn for the front perennial beds and the berry patch, then added the nursery bed, Lily bed, Strawberries and Yucca and on and on.

Then last year after going through the process of becoming a Certified Natural Habitat I learned how much a lawn can add to the problems of our environment. The gas used for mowing, the gas emissions added to the environment, not to mention the energy expended doing the mowing and the chemicals required to maintain a pristine lawn.

All added up to me rethinking the whole thing. Add to that having no available garden space to grow many veggies. Then comes that wonderful book, "Gaia's Gardens". That was all I needed to figure out that I already had the perfect place for my veggies. Where do I get the most sun? Right out front.

So I started changing it more last fall. I moved Blueberries out from the back and the woods, established guilds for my Apple and Pear trees, and decided to get rid of most of the front lawn.

So this photo is all that remains of what used to be a large expanse of lawn!!

No comments: