Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dandelions are definitely worth a try

I take the grandkids to reading programs at the local library. Last week we noticed Dandelions in bloom. I had been looking for a source to use for their edible portions, so I got the kids locating the plants for me by having them pick the flowers! Once a Dandelion starts to bloom the leaves become bitter and no longer good to eat. I have been picking leaves from Dandelion and Chicory for a few weeks now. I use them in salads, soups and stews.

As I had learned that the flower buds are tasty I picked buds with the kids last week. We put them in boiling water for 60 seconds then i did a stir fry in EVOO with some leaves I picked from non blooming plants. We all loved them!
I also located some Wintercress in the same area and picked the leaves which were also added to the stirfry.

This week when we went there were a ton of Dandelions available. What a great help to the library to have the kids picks all the flowers to keep them form multiplying too much. This keeps the plants there for foraging yet controls the spread so that they don't have to treat them with chemicals!!

I will speak to the library Director so that she will know I am willing to do this weekly, so that she is not compelled to use the chemicals!!!

I got enough buds to serve at dinner last night. The kids and my hubby ate them. JD, my son in law thought they were interesting. They are full of nutrients, and the leftovers will go in our salad today.

I also found 3 Wintercress starting to produce their flower stalks. I cut the stalks, leaving the plant in place ans added these to the buds at dinner. The end of the stalk with the flower buds was very similar to Broccoli Raab, and even Mia liked it!! So we need to get out and get more Wintercress stalks today!!

Try them. You may find them as enjoyable as I have!

2 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

I need to remember this next Spring. I'm actually planting some dandelions in Gabe's Garden. I hope I don't regret doing so!

marna said...

Hi Michelle - It is not too late to go foraging for the Dandelion buds. I found Ramps by the brook in our woods yesterday. They are a wild leek, referenced in the perennial vegetable list in "Gaia's Garden."