Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pulmonaria



Pulmonaria, Lungwort, is one of the first plants to bloom in my gardens each year. They are especially great as they keep their leaves all season and grow similar to hostas into a nice round clump. They seed freely and form great masses of plants if not deadheaded. They prefer a shady site and thrive in an area that gets flooded in winter and spring.




I have the variety with dark green leaves with white spots that produces both pink and blue flowers on each plant. Right now their leaves are very small, but you can see the spots quite easily.




I noticed last year that a white variety has evolved.




As a garden center was going out of business last year I was able to scoop up a silver leaf variety
which has a delicate pink bloom!




1 comment:

marna said...

In my walk around the garden yesterday I noticed the quick growth of the Pulmonaria. The flower stalks are already up to about 10 inches!!