Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gardens update

Gardening has begun. Arugula, radish, spinach and lettuce are all coming up from the seeds I planted last month!

After a lengthy look around there is lots that needs to go to new homes. Spent the morning yesterday working with Sheila, Thanks so much, Sheila.

After a very long winter, it is really necessary to get down on your knees to get a closer look at what is going on in the gardens. And there is so much going on right now that I am overwhelmed. The winter blanket of snow protected plants that normally would have died down in the cold weather.

My Poppies are looking splendid as are the oh, so many Foxglove which hung in from last year! For Biennials, I'm not sure what to expect as I have not seen such healthy specimens in April before! And the Tower Mustard has come up all over and sown at least a million seeds! But that population will have plenty of company in my wild garden, so it will be interesting to see just which plants prevail.

It's my day to care for the kids, so I must run to get ready. But check out the seeds and plants already available. My time for giving out plants and seeds will be very limited as I will be caring for the little ones throughout the week and on Saturday afternoons, so I will need more time to line up visits to the gardens this season. Contact me when you see something you are interested in.

AND MOST OF ALL----- take off your gloves and get some dirt under your fingernails - Then the season will have officially begun!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marna

Thanks for yesterday. It was such a wonderful treat working alongside you yesterday. I went home and planted, planted, planted! Somehow along the way I misplaced my arugula - I was so ready to plant it but couldn't find it. Maybe I left it in the front garden when we were getting the asters. If you don't mind taking a peak and let me know if you find it. I spoke with Jimmy and he said he'd be happy to come and get the pachysandra in that pathway. Just let us know what time Saturday is best for you. Well I must finish all the paperwork that I've been putting off for way too long.

Have a great day - happy gardening.

Love, Sheila

Jeanne said...

Marna,
I finally got some dirt under my nails today!!! My mom came by and said "Where are your gloves" I replied "I never use them unless there is poisen ivory or torns... Unfortunatly I was only doing clean up nothing fun like planting or splitting yet. I have been so busy babysitting the kids I have had no time at my new home. I really need to have you come take a look and give me some tips. I am home on Tuesday and Friday this week. Let me know if you can come by anytime on those days. I would love for you to see my house as it is still in the beginning of my renivating. Hope to see you soon!
Love,
Jeanne