Sunday, September 7, 2008

An early walk on an afterstorm morn

Early this morning I was working on coming to a more roused awareness of the day, my coffee in hand, settled down on the couch to work on seeds. I had harvested a bunch of Stella D'oro Daylily seed pod recently and as the seeds had ripened, they neede to be removed from the pods.

I decided that I should document the process with photos, as had been requested of me early in the season by one of the gardeners who was unfamiliar with the whole seeding process. Well the whole process has been a great lesson for me, as well. I have learned so much more about all kinds of seeds and the differences that abound in all the different varieties of plants here in the gardens. That will be the subject of a future post.

For now, though, i was compelled to go outside to get a photo of the one, lone Daylily in my gardens that had decided to bless me with one seed pod this season. In the past I had always cut down the stems once the Daylilies had finished blooming. This year, as with other flowers in the garden I did not deadhead them, as I wanted to allow them to produce their seeds. So what is that all about. You know how many Daylilies that I have all over the place. Only one seed pod??!! LOL

What else is new this season. One seed pod, and how wonderful that I got one! After all, it could have been no seeds pods at all!!

So I went out, in pj's, not hat, just going to take a quick photo of the one Daylily, and, of course, that one step into the gardens, got me looking around at everything, and one photo led to another and another, and I found myself, hatless, running through the gardens, noticing one thing after another that I wanted to get "just a quick shot" of, so that the sun starting beating on my head. I had to run in to get a hat, as I knew there were more great photos to be had. (An aside here - so just imagine all the folks driving by, if they happen to catch a glimpse of me in and out of the gardens at such an early morning hour! LOL)

We had over five inches of rain last night and the gardens were full of its residue. Raindrops and spiderwebs, blossoms and seed pods, fallen leaves and flowers, larger watermelons and red and yellow ripe berries, mushy blossoms and rain-softened seed pods, downed seed pods with seed spewed all over the ground and tall stalks laden with rain, toppled all over, green and red tomatoes, multiple new eggplant blossoms, all ripe and awaiting my camera.

Can't wait to download the photos. Oh, but then I have to sort through them, and upload them to the blog, and get them in some semblance of order once there, and then do the writing that needs to go with the photos.

Which, ain't happening today, folks, have to get out there and rescue downed plants, and take a closer look at what else the bad weather may have done to the gardens. But there will be tomorrow, or later today, when I will have the time to get those photos, and share with you all, the beauty of the garden in the shining wet glory of an after storm morn.

3 comments:

Babzina said...

Wasn't the rain wonderful! Our rain barrels are overflowing. I am sure we will still have another "hot" spell as we often "dew" in September. I would love to come over on Tues. Later eve or late afternoons are better for me. Would love to help out, still planting here as well, preparing for next years blooms. Would you like some Morning Glory seeds? The original plant is from Scituate, last summah, and has thrived with so many offspring, this year lots of seeds. I would be happy to bring you a bunch. They are one my favorite climbers. Chat soon, enjoy this day, xo Babs

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna & Babs,
Can Morning Glories be Perennials?? Do they reseed tham selves each year? My Mom has always loved morning glories and buys seeds every year and plants them in a pot and they grow up a fence she has. I was considering them here, but really don't want to have to deal with seeds every year.
Thanks,
Sara

marna said...

Morning Glories are usually annuals. Babs did tell me about a neighbor who had a perennial variety, but I don't know anything about that variety. you do have to plant each year. As Babs has seeds available, maybe you would want to try some next year. You have all that lovely white fencing it would look wonderful on!!