Friday, September 5, 2008

First day of school

So it was a begrudging wake up at 5:25 AM this morning. After a crowded night's partial sleep, having shared the family bed with an anxious child, we worked on getting her roused and out of bed to begin on her latest journey. It took two of us to gently coax this sleepy child into an alertness that would allow her to get ready for the busy and exciting day ahead.

Downstairs, ready to leave? Needing to get out to the bus, but oh wait, need to brush teeth!! That done, where are my shoes? Oh! Right on the floor next to my backpack, lovingly placed there by this proud mom. Everything look okay? Is my makeup smudged? No? Okay, then I guess I'm ready. Alas, too late for a photo, and so beautiful, all dressed in her new uniform, to face the day. Dad goes to the end of the very long driveway to see if the bus is pending. No, thank goodness she won't have to run!

Is it okay if we wait to make sure it comes? No problem, she says with a sly grin. She is so patient with us. So we position ourselves among the bushes so that the others at the bus stop won't notice us. Of course the dozens of cars going by must be getting an eyeful!! LOL

We wait and watch, and wait and watch, as other students, all boys, get to the stop. We wait and watch. I guess we got her out early enough!! We even did a dry run around the bus route Monday to try and figure out what time it would be arriving. So we finally spot it coming down the road, and time it to figure out what would be the last possible moment for her to leave the house to be able to catch it, factoring in how long it would take the 4 boys also at the stop to saunter up to the bus, to allow her a little more lead time.

Then it stops for her, and she gets on, and we hide in the bushes so as not to be seen by any of the high schoolers on the bus. And in the blink of an eye, she has become one, a high schooler!!! And that is how we started our day today!!

And then I went in to do my post, waited for my husband to leave for work and then, totally and completely basked in the silence that had fallen over my household - and it would continue for the entire day, all for me to enjoy all by myself. The house is mine again, at last!!!

1 comment:

Babzina said...

Oh, that is the best....isn't it!!! I am so happy for you!
Peace and quiet....aaaahhhhhh.