Monday, September 15, 2008

A new caterpillar, and a turtle egg update

I have found a way to do these posts that is a little easier, but it's still not working normally yet.
Found a new caterpillar on my parsley last week. It is hard to see but it has little red spots all over. Mia's great eyes picked up that detail. Unable to identify it at this young stage. Alas, it didn't make it. Next season perhaps I'll find another to be able to identify it as it grows.
It was late in the season for one this young to be around.





Update on snapping turtle eggs. These eggs were laid on Jun 5. According to my sources they should hatch in 80-90 days. Well we have passed the 90 day point, so on double checking, it says that sometimes the eggs end up incubating over the winter. Just my luck, we told Ryan they would be hatching after Mia went back to school. Well, Mia has been in school over two weeks now, so every day he is wanting to know if his turtle has hatched yet!! I scraped the soil back to take a look, and it has developed a thicker shell.


Maybe one of these days....

No comments: