Monday, September 22, 2008

Even more walking through woods

So here I am, in my glory, being able to see what I am writing , as I write it!! What a great thing this is!!
So now I can finish my walk through the woods!! So to get back to the tree that I was admiring the moss at the bottom of. As I expanded by view, I noticed a little spot of white to the left of the moss. Upon closer inspection I discovered that it was a mushroom. Had I not been taking a closer look at the moss, I would not have even noticed it.

It is beige with a bit darker beige tone in the center. HHM, wonder if it could be edible. Had no clue on this day if it was or not, so just left it alone.



This is one lone blueberry on a Highbush blueberry bush. I recently found out that Highbush blueberries can make a great hedge in a sunny location, so I will be moving some of them out into the front yard to see how it works. Maybe this way, in the full sun, they will produce more fruit.




Found this Oak seedling. I have very few oaks over here, so it is nice to see some still trying to make it among the Pine, Maple and Cherry. As these leaves are a bit rounded, it will me between a hard and soft oak. The softer oaks produce the more edible acorns. Since I am getting into this edible thing more fully, I am trying out acorns. Still looking for the softer wood tree.



While in the woods I love looking for evidence of animal activity. Found these two animal holes at the base of tress.

Oh, I should have taken a picture of the fox hole - Maybe I'll remember next time. Many years back a red fox came right into the back yard and started dragging our rabbit cage into the woods!! We got out there in time to scare him off. Never left the rabbit outside alone after that!!



Saw some color at the base of a tree.



It turned out to be some very striking orange mushrooms. It was a nice little family.



Parents and maybe an aunt or grandmother to one side and the two kids trailing behind!



Such a beautiful rich color. Couldn't help but wonder how tasty they might be. I love mushrooms, but have heard some stories, so I wouldn't have taken a chance. And now I have learned that bright colored mushrooms are not ever edible!!


Isn't the gill area (under the cap) interesting!!



This is a newly emerged Clubmoss. Quite a contrast to the ground behind.


This is a typical log on the ground in a wetland forest. It just looks like a fallen tree until you touch it.

Then it falls apart upon touch and you can see what it has become. The inside decomposes and develops a sponge like quality.


You can see how dark brown the inside has become. Remember how a cut tree is light brown inside?
Well on the floor of the woods it becomes porous and soaked and the perfect breeding ground for any species in the woods. In this case a Jack in the Pulpit has decided to make its home at the base of the log.

Found a patch of flowers that I could not identify.



As they were just beginning to bud the first trip, I had to wait until they came into full bloom.


Turned out it is Flat topped Aster, Aster umbellatus, a native plant.



Imagine my joy when I discovered two more patches in other areas of the woods!! I have plenty to share!! It likes a shady wet area.


No comments: