Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Living mulch continued

As you get a more established garden, you can experiment with many different plants to see how well they might be able to be used as a ground cover/living mulch.




In this area the European Wild Ginger, Asarum europaeum, in the forefront has filled in nicely. In a closer look you can see how it has grown right around the Fringed Bleeding Heart and it is moving beyond, right towards the Tiarella and Hosta. It will eventually fill in the area while allowing the other plants to keep coming up through the spreading Ginger.

Wild Ginger requires full to partial shade. It is an evergreen, which means that the leaves remain year round. I love the contrast of the glossy deep green leaves against the delicate leaves of the Fringed Bleeding Heart. Ginger does have a blossom, but it is very non distinct and can be found under the plant in the spring.




Another plant which you may not think of as a ground cover is our native Violets,
Viola, which are plentiful in my whole yard! I brought a few plants in from my Auntie Joe's home, where she lived until she was 93 (and lived five more years at my cousin's). (See my epiphany for more on this tale)

We had violets and Lily of the Valley in the home I grew up in and I have such fond memories of picking them and making wonderful bouquets of the deep purple Violets and white tiny bell spikes of the Lily of the Valley.
So it was a no brainer that I would have lots of Violets here in Wrentham. This is an area adjoining our drainage "pit" we had to construct due to the wetlands we are on. I planted six small Rosina Violets here over twenty years ago, and now they make a beautiful cover on this whole slope.



They are a beautiful deep rosy color blanketing the area with their reddish/purple blooms in the spring.




I also have planted several other colors, which have intermingled over the years and create such beautiful combination of hues of purples to whites and rose throughout the spring.




There are several spots where the violets have taken over prior grassy spots, which has worked out quite well as we have been working on shrinking our lawns for years now.




These Hosta, in a deeply shaded wooded nook, are being greeted by the violets running up from the lawn to join them in their nestled spot under an old Maple tree.


In the top of this photo you can see a great ground cover creeping across the front of the Daylily bed. This is Thyme, a great herb which doubles as a living mulch.




This is a closer look at Golden Thyme.


Here you can see regular and Golden Thyme coming together is a great profusion of herbal glory.



Here you can notice how this Cleome is enjoying how the Thyme is keeping her feet cool on a warm day.


And here is Thyme blooming in her purpled, spiked splendor, cascading all over the front walkway,


while here the Golden Thyme shares its blooms with all the Daylilies.




I have found Hosta to be quite generous in their growth habits, and easily forming living mulch around trees and shrubs,


as well as around other larger Hosta.


You can see from this picture that these hosta have tried gallantly to keep the Sundrops in check, while a few outgrew their ranks and are trying to infiltrate the Hosta!



Pulmonaria is another plant that has grown into a great living mulch,



as well as the Asters under this Butterfly Bush.


I so enjoy watching how my gardens develop. Over time they take on a life of their own and I am convinced that I am just their servant in this journey I called my life.

No comments: