Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Night sounds

The last night of summer has passed. As I stayed up later than usual, it was with great surprise that I discovered something I had evidently been missing out on all summer. The noises of the night!

As I walked past an open window I heard a wonderful trilling that sounded like a bird's song. It was so loud it drew me to the open window to listen for more. It came and went, off and on, seemingly right near the house. As I waited to hear it again I realized there was all manner of sounds surrounding our home.

The obvious crickets and frogs were easy to recognize, but as I listened more closely, I heard so many different sounds that I became enthralled by them all. I went to the front door, and was assaulted by the noise of a few cars racing by. Once they passed I settled in on listening to the night sounds. As it was 10:30 - very late for me, I thought they all had to be insects of various sorts, but so many of the beautiful sounds seemed as if they were from birds. So this is another experience that needs further investigation, which will not be happening this morning, the last morning of summer for this household!

No comments: