Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Glorious Hydrangeas throughout the season

Forgive the delay, first day of school here!! We made the bus !!!!




My struggles with certain plants are known by many. My years of frustration with non blooming hydrangeas may come as a surprise to some, given the abundant display of the two hydrangeas at the forefront of my gardens. These amazing two hydrangeas once graced the cemetery plots of my husband's parents and aunt/godmother, who was a second mother to me. Rather than leave them to die, we brought them home and I planted 6 of them over the course of three years. These two Hydrangeas, are just splendid examples of the best Hydrangeas can be. Their numerous, gigantic blooms have been gracing my gardens since early in the season.
This one has maintained the brilliant deep hues of blues, which was Aunt Lucy's favorite color. This particular Hydrangea has been magnificent in its own right, but has taken a second seat all season




to this beauty, which I treated early on with lime as last year it had started to show a tinge of purple in one of its many blooms. I have photoed this one particular bloom on the right as it developed into this absolutely delicious purplish pinkish tone.



Enjoy the progression of my journey with this blossom.
























And today, at the end of the season, this once majestic blossom is winding its way down, the life waning out of it ever so slowing, the color fading as we near the end of its reign.




Such an array of color in this Hydrangea's gaiety.




Such joy and sheer delight it brought to one hundred+ visitors to my gardens this season.




From the very beginning bud of what would become the deepest azure blue




to the deep, warm rich purplish pink, this regal Hydrangea did my gardens proud.




Lest I forget my other grand Hydrangeas. Here is just one of the White, Peegee Hydrangeas,





with its gigantic perfect blooms.




And, of course, my dear, sweet Climber, who beget 30 slips to many of you, now to be spreading its growth all around the state.



And as the season is getting ready to come to an end we all prepare to bid a fond adieu to our garden companions. They will be settling in for a long winter's nap, to prepare themselves for another fond display for us all next year.






Arrivaderci (sp??) - which means until we meet again, and in this case, we will be anticipating your reappearance next spring!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marna,
I had no idea that Hydrangeas bloomed!!! LOL

I can't wait to have mine all planted safe and sound. What beautiful picture's.

I am glad that Mia got off to a good start. Rob did as well. He left for the bus 15 minutes early with no breakfast as he was a bit nervous.

Talk to you soon!
Jeanne

marna said...

Isn't it amazing the things we can learn as we get older!!!!

Babzina said...

Good Day to you Marna,
One of my favorite things about visiting my Dad in Hull is that every home has the most spendid Hydrangeas! Every color imaginable! I even love those that don't bloom, as the leaves are such a crisp green and the plant itself so sturdy. We have 4 that have come from Marna's Gardens and they are thriving beautifully. Thank you, off to dissolve an estate in Wellesley, chat soon, Barbara Ann