Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Circle of Life - Imagine the possibilities!

While walking through the gardens I was thinking about all the seeds I am collecting. Today a wonderfully generous group of college students, family and friends are coming to start clearing our old vegetable garden to make way for what's left over of the seeds I'm collecting - This year all of the plants that I've been giving are actually being dug from out of my gardens. The seedlings have been growing right under their parent plants, the seeds coming right from the plants themselves.
With the seed bed, I will be able to start all the varieties I am collecting seed from this summer, many of which will have seedlings ready to go out in the fall, and others, which will grow more slowly. will be ready in the spring. This new seed bed will allow for the continuous cycle of plants to replenish gardens annually.

It will also give garden visitors the opportunity to see all of the plant cycles in the gardens throughout all seasons of gardening. This is definitely becoming a cooperative effort. (see future postings about this)

The Circle of Life!! The Cirlce of Gardening! Imagine the possibilities!

Everyone will have a place - Marna's Gardens - they can turn to, to have the opportunity to create their own circle of life. They will be able to start a plant from seed, or seedling, prepare the right conditions for it to be planted in, nurture it, continually providing the care necessary, watch it grow, get their own seeds from their own plants and expand their own gardens, just as I have done over the years.
In addition, everyone will be able to get gardening information, from a gardener with over forty years experience in doing all of the above, working through the successes and failures and mistakes that come with gardening, as also with life itself; answers to their questions, and be able to post their own garden and related updates, and pictures right here in our comments.

And it will all be FREE!!

I have been receiving many emails with specific questions, as well as updates on the lives of the 2 caterpillars which were adopted out of the gardens this spring. I've been in the process of getting permission to copy them into the blog - There are several photos coming in of the butterfly metamorphosis process, including 2 very different experiences with caterpillars -both from the same brood - being experienced right now as I write this by 2 local families.

Please try using the comment section for your questions, if you are comfortable with that format. It's still okay to email me, but know that I may ask if I can post your questions and my answers to them, if I think others may gain from the questions. The comments get emailed to me as soon as they are posted.

Now I need to get ready for today's gardening event. Have a wonderful end to your Fourth of July Weekend.


4 comments:

Sheila DeCelle said...

Good Morning Marna

I was up early this morning walking in my gardens collecting pink bleeding heart seeds for you. I will stop by this week and drop them off.

I wish that I could be there to help today but my husband and I are taking the kids to camp in New Hampshire. I don't know who is more excited me or them!!!!

See you this week.

Sheila

marna said...

LOL ---Sheila, Good hearing from you. We had a great crew here today - I will blog about it in the am when I am well rested!! They got more done than I could have hoped for. I'm working on lots of pictures, researching individual plant info I want to post, gardening tips, and getting all the questions I've had through email ready to get posted to the blog. Just a bit going on. Oh, and did I tell you I started a summer sewing class??!! We are starting with denim skirts!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna,
Had a lot of fun helping you clean up your gardens today. I came home and gathered a lot of seeds from a Purple Nora Barlow Columbine for you to give out. Have a great night!
Sara

marna said...

Can't wait to add the purple Nora Barlow to our seed offers!