Monday, July 28, 2008

Reflections, caterpillar updates

Have had so many wonderful gardeners and family here to the gardens. Had a great start to the tour weekend weather wise, but unfortunately, had to cut the last tour short due to thunderstorms. That tour will be finishing up during the week.

We had some very special moments during the tours. As a Spicebush Swallowtail had hatched that morning we used the tour as an occasion to release this butterfly.

I told about butterfly and balloon releases we had for the foster children living with us. There was one sibling pair who had lost their father when they were 2 and 4 years old. Two years later, at our house, they were in deep mourning, and it was especially hard on holidays and birthdays, missing their departed Dad and their Mom, who was only able to see them on weekly visits.

We would blow up balloons which they would decorate and write messages on, then we would release them up into the sky to be carried upward into heaven, in order for the beloved balloons to find their Dad and convey their love and messages directly to him.

Any butterflies that hatched were always sent up to be shared with him also. And thus our release, in honor of Tracilee's first visit here and her own loved ones above.




At one point we had an addition to the first tour. A stunning, brilliant red Dragonfly joined us landing right on the pointing stick I was using. I mentioned that I had several dragonflies who were cooperative enough to land on my hands, and Tracilee put her hand next to the red dragonfly, and it jumped right on it!! What a great photo op. Only her husband, Shawn, was so enamored of the moment that he missed it, as the dragonfly flew over to a Bee Balm just as he was getting his camera out.
So then the most amazing thing happened! (The wonderful creatures in my gardens tend to be so cooperative!! ) I put my guide stick right by the dragonfly as it was lolling on the Bee Balm, and it hopped over onto the stick. I moved the stick gently right over to Tracilee's hand and it went right back on it and stayed there as Shawn snapped photos!! Such gentle amenable creatures!!


I believe the highlight for all the tours had to be the Butterfly Bush, Buddleia davidii, by my side door.




It has outdone itself this year. Gardeners on the tour got to see Tiger Swallowtail, Monarch, Skipper, and Painted Lady Butterflies, many insects,




and the most amazing sight to date for all, the Hummingbird Moths.




The Hummingbird Moth, "Common Clearwing", Hemaris thysbe, is 1 1/2-2" long. Its wings start off plum-red to brownish black. After the first flight its scales drop off which leaves clear areas devoid of scales, except along the veins.




These delightful creatures have been mistaken as Hummingbird babies by Krissy, and an enigma to many more, including myself.
Until I was able to get up close and personal several years ago I could not figure out what the tiny hummingbird like creature was. It so resembles a hummingbird, but has no beak. As it got used to me, I was able to get close enough to identify this amazing moth! This year I have seen two different ones, one a reddish brown, the other yellow and black.
It is a magical moment when you encounter one. The experience transports you to a place that is so awe inspiring and enchanting. Time as you know it will stop, you will want to have the creature stop and stay where it is, just so you can take all its splendor in. But like its namesake, they flitter from blossom to blossom, sipping up all the nectar it encounters, all too soon moving from flower to flower all around the bush.
Each time you see one you will take in more and more of its beauty, the striping, the shape of its body, the intricate pattern of its wings, the tuft at its rear, its antennas, the color nuances from one to another.




I do have to admit that I feel this way alot in my gardens with all my nature encounters. This is the sight that awaits me each time I walk out my side door. The flowers on the Butterfly bush warmly nodding their greetings.




And now to our caterpillar friends, some growing ever so quickly. Have two varieties right now, Monarch and Spicebush. Have had the Spicebush for almost two weeks now, the Monarch one week.
This is one of the containers I keep the Monarchs in. It accommodates the large number of leaves with eggs or caterpillars on them, that we collect in this process. Had to start using this as I had a problem with one of the caterpillars!




This is a caterpillar box made for a gardener who brought it for me to see. This will be one Mia and I will be trying to duplicate for use here.





As the Monarchs lay their eggs during one window of time in the summer there are lots of eggs at the same time. The Spicebush, on the other hand, will lay eggs all spring and summer. We collect one or two at a time. They have a much slower growth pattern and are unpredictable as to when the chrysalis will hatch.

This is a Monarch egg getting ready to hatch. Notice how it is turning black.




And here is the newly hatched caterpillar, just unfolding itself from its circular shape.





This is the new caterpillar, just under 1/8 of an inch.




Here is the same caterpillar in centimeters.




Now if you remember we started out with 3 caterpillars, and the rest were eggs. Well, I went in to check on them the next day and could only find two of the caterpillars. It may be hard to see, but the top leaf has two caterpillars on it, while the bottom one is empty! I had a rogue caterpillar on my hands! It was Chunker!! Time to initiate a search and rescue!




As it was in the aquarium with other things of nature, I had to search everywhere, as it was not easy to locate. And this is where I found it. Right on this branch with a Spicebush chrysalis (the one I released this weekend)




Here's a closer view of it. Evidently it wanted a mother figure nearby!




Chunker has already grown just overnight!!




I decided to just put the whole branch in the plastic container, so that it would be easier to keep track of. I put the other two caterpillars in with it and a few new leaves for it to transfer itself to as it eats continually during this week of rapid growth. Okay, I said it eats continually. Did you not hear me?? Evidently not, as it did not transfer itself onto one of the leaves. Later in the day, as I checked on it this is what I found.




Okay, now, let's let the sleeping, lie in peace. Not wanting to disturb the Spicebush swallowtails progress I removed the caterpillar onto a Milkweed leaf and secured the Spicebush chrysalis in the aquarium.
Here follows the continued growth of the caterpillars.




In just one day this caterpillar has doubled in size.




This is Chunker early this morning!!




He's finally got the eating thing down pat!




And here we are chronicling the Spicebush swallowtail caterpillar, which was hatched from the egg last week. The tell tale leaf rollover housing.




It grows much more slowly than the Monarchs, as you can see by the following photos.




Notice what looks like eyes on the side of the apparent head. This is not the head at all, rather an illusion creating by the spots to make it appear larger and more threatening than it actual is.




You can also see the irregular shape of this caterpillar as compared to the Monarch. This one also changes colors as it grows, whereas the Monarch stays the same throughout it caterpillar stage.





This caterpillar grows much more slowly than the Monarchs. It has taken a week for it to double in size. And here you can see the comparison .




The Spicebush caterpillar is two weeks, and the Monarch at about a week old is much larger.




Had some damage from the recent storms. A bird's nest on the ground, luckily the chicks had already flown the coop!



A fractured limb on my Spicebush,




too severe to repair.




I hung up the branches in a lilac bush (right by the back door, so I wouldn't forget I had done that) in order for them to dry as the dried branches of the Spicebush when broken into small pieces are used for potpourri. They are so very fragrant. Thank you, John N, for that information on your visit to my gardens!!




I had to go out in the height of the storm to secure my Rubrums with a stake, as they were bending over ominously atop the Hydrangea!




Ah! My lovely Rubrums and purplish/pinkish Hydrangea!!!




Have a glorious day. Mia and I are off to lunch with a dear friend, also a former foster mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna,
Thank you to you and Mia for the Catterpilla's.
The children are loving watching them grow. They have doubled from monday - Wednesday and are happily munching away. We went on a nature walk today and found some nearby milkweek to feed them. Also, I think we found a leaf with a couple of eggs on it to add to our habitat. So we will have stages of realising to make it easier on the little ones. I do have to work all this week but will catch up with you soon. Thank Mia for doing the harvesting for us. I hope you are not overdoing it in this heat.
Love,
Jeanne

Marna Towne said...

Oh my gosh. I'm a "Marna" and I have a garden too! Nice cat pictorial1