Friday, July 18, 2008

GARDEN TOURS

Our first garden tours are scheduled for Saturday, July 26 and Sunday, July 27. They will take place at 9 am and 3 pm both days. The morning tour will start in the front and work to the back; the afternoon will start in the back and work toward the front. This is planned to take into account the heat of the sun in the front gardens.

I am planning a two hour unscripted tour. I will be identifying plants, answering questions, and telling snippets of my gardens as time permits.

There will be a scavenger hunt provided for children. My teen will not be available to supervise play this weekend. Please check my post from 7-1 for more information on children in the gardens.

We are on wetlands, so please apply insect repellant before you come, as well as sunscreen for you and your children. I would suggest bringing an umbrella if it is a hot, sunny day. It gets quite hot in the front garden. We are starting early enough that it should be very comfortable while we are out there in the morning, and we'll be back out front around 4 for the second tour, so it should have cooled off somewhat, but I would suggest it for anyone, like myself, who has trouble being in the hot sun. That's one reason you will always see me in a hat!!

Please bring your own water, as I have no facilities for drinks. Feel free to bring cameras. There's lots to photograph, plants and insects galore!!

I am limiting the tours to two hours, but you will be welcome to walk around on your own after the tour has ended. There will be seeds available at this time, and possibly plants if people bring any to share. Should you want to find out about specific plant availability I will have information and sign up sheets available.

If any of you are overrun with certain plants, this would be a time to bring them to share with others. I can take plants starting Thursday, 7-24. They will need to be in some kind of container, although they do not have to be split up. I'm not sure what I might have to dig up myself, but I'm sure there will be something I can offer.

There is also the possibility that Monarch eggs may be available by then. Keep a watch on my posts, as I will post it when they are available for those of you who have a Milkweed source to take home to raise. In this case you would need to bring a butterfly container to transport the egg or caterpillar back home in. You can speed up this process by notifying me of your interest and that you do, indeed have Milkweed nearby to feed the quickly growing caterpillar - It will be eating for a week and then pupating for a week, and then it will be hatching!!

I will be limiting the numbers of people in each tour, so be sure to get your reservations in, which can be done through the comments, or by email.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna,
I am trying to get my Mom to come down for one of your tours with me next weekend. Probably one of the two afternoons so that she can then watch the kids so hubby & I can go out for dinner & a movie?? A date night, what is that??
Sara

marna said...

Sounds like a plan!