Friday, July 25, 2008

Today, the power of nature

No light post today. I have several waiting to be done, but the news of the day, being so grim and so related to nature, begs my attention.

As I waited for a young mother to pick up much needed items yesterday, the weather took a turn for the worse. Mia had helped me get a small bookcase out onto the landing for the impending pickup. I thought it was a sure thing to get it outside, ready for the pickup due in about 10 minutes.

All of a sudden the skies opened up and we had a torrential downpour, which kept going and going and going. I figured my pickup would be delayed, so I got something to eat and sat in the sunroom, put the tv on and started to eat. It was about 11:45, and a weather alert was on for a tornado watch in NH.

"Oh, my, I thought, I need to call John."

My husband manages an insurance claims office here in Franklin. His company insures people all over the country. His office is responsible for all of New England except for Maine. They insure mostly farms, but also regular homeowners as well. So I alerted John to the approaching bad weather. He put the wheels in motion to alert all to the impending disaster.

Meanwhile I had to get the bookcase out of the rains - I moved it under the overhang, thinking it would stay dry -- WRONG!! The wind started blowing so hard, it was getting soaked. Mia helped me move it inside. All the wanted items got picked up safely, we all got soaked!!

So this morning I am pondering on the seemingly quixotic course nature has been taking lately.

Over the last few years there have been great shows of the power nature holds over our heads.

In looking up the word nature in my trusty dictionary/thesaurus, the following words are all used to describe various aspects of its definition: inherent quality, essential characteristics, temperament, natural instincts, environment, essence, soul, substance, universe, world, outdoors, wild, wilderness.

I really haven't thought too much about the destructive aspect of nature, as it hasn't been anything we really worry about at this time of year, here in New England.

Yes, we have hurricanes, usually later in the summer and fall. Though I well remember being days without power in the 50's and 60's when we had hurricanes that stopped our lives as we knew them, while we waited for Carol and others to pass on by.

In the winters we've had our fair share of blizzards. But for the most part the truly destructive weather was always in other places, not here in New England. In recent days there have been 2 tornadoes in New England, one in Rhode Island, which is on the southern border of Wrentham, my town! The other(s) in New Hampshire, the home of 2 of my siblings and many dear friends.

It is mind boggling, and just so hard to comprehend that this violent, destructive force has been so close to home.

Time for us New Englanders to pay attention to Mother Nature?

Enjoy this beautiful sunny clear day, as all of nature soaks up the replenishing rains from yesterday!


No comments: