Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Monarch eggs have been collected!!!

It's now 9 pm, and I've been going without a breather since 4 am, but it has been a very exciting day!

Was showing Babs how to look for Monarch eggs on my milkweed, and how to identify Milkweed, when, what to my surprise, we found a Monarch caterpillar!!!!! Mia went out in the gardens, and rounded up a bunch of eggs, which are ready to be adopted!

I will write much, much more on this topic tomorrow, and try to catch up on all that's been going on over here. Very, very, very busy these days!!

What you need to know right now:

If you have a source for Milkweed, you can get a Monarch caterpillar egg this week!!!

Those of you who were on the red Poppy reservation list will get first choice, as we had an unexpected barren seed pod.

What you need to do - Email me and let me know if you want an egg. One per household. I will be posting the complete info on how to raise a caterpillar - I will get the link which is a good resource to be used to decide if you want to undertake this mission. Those of you who adopted Fred and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, I would think would be wanting these also - Actually, I know for a fact that Kerri had Milkweed. I saw it at her house when I visited recently.

For anyone in this area(Wrentham) there is a huge Milkweed field at the Wrentham Dev. Ctr on Winter st. Lots of milkweed, and probably lots of eggs right now waiting to be collected.

A very good reason for collecting the eggs is to keep the predators from eating the caterpillars. There has been shrinkage in Milkweed fields, so we need to preserve as many caterpillars as possible.

I have got to get to bed, long day tomorrow - it'll be Grandkids day! They are going to have a blast looking for more eggs!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna,
If you get a chance can you take a picture of what the eggs & caterpillars look like (or describe)? I have a lot of milkweed in my yard & neighborhood.
Thanks, Sara

marna said...

Hey Sara, Just spent an hour editing over 140 photos taken just yesterday for todays blogs. Lots of catching up to do!! Information I've got - All to be shared with all of you out there!

Anonymous said...

Marna,
I will be back late Sunday. I will be watching my 4 little ones on Monday. Would it be possible to bring them over in the late morning @11:30 or after nap @3:00 to gather their catepillar? It would be great if they had a little Marna lesson!!!
Have a wonderful day,
Jeanne

Babzina said...

Marna, thank you so much, Our little catepillar still inside her egg. Safe and sound with lots of milkweek to eat. Watching her closely and cannot wait for her to hatch! So exciting. Thank you again for the seeds, next years garden will be spectacular. Looking forward to gardening with you after next week when Jess graduates. Enjoy the brushetta, see you soon, xo Babsy

Anonymous said...

Thanks,
I just figured I could try and save some around here too =)
Sara

Babzina said...

Marna,
The lilies are spectacular, having seen them in person, your photos look just like being in your garden. Watching patiently over our little friend. Off to the conference this weekend, chat with you next week, will come by with the gardening book, see you soon Babs