Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Highway in the sky

Found out I have a "highway in the sky" here in my own little haven from all things worldly.
One morning, while gazing at the back gardens, I noticed a lot of movement in the trees above. This land used to be a dense woodland.

When we first moved in we had just two squirrels which would frequent our bird feeders. As there were only the two I never minded them much. As they did eat most of the bird seed we would get them ears of corn from time to time. We named one of the squirrels, tho' not the other. Oh, well, sorry, but the other one really stood out. It had only a little fluff where its tail should have been growing!!

So, you probably guessed it, I called him No Tail. The two squirrels could been seen cavorting all over the yard, up and down trees, and up and down again, jumping from tree to tree via the many branches. in the upper echelon of the yard. Now that I think of it they had to have been same sex squirrels, as there were never any babies (or else my cats were very good at their hunt). No Tail was around for a number of years, and then one year we noticed there were no squirrels around at all. It was strange, when so many people were complaining about all the squirrels eating all their bird food all the time.

We just got squirrels back this year. Don't know why, no rhyme or reason to it. Not No Tail. And what I noticed was that I hadn't paid much attention to the squirrels back then,. Now as I gazed at them at play I noticed how easily and swiftly they traveled among the tree tops. They would run up the trunk, pick a branch, be it ever so thin and run down it, leaping across to a branch from an adjacent tree, not slowing down even a speck in their transit via their own "Highway in the Sky".


No comments: