Friday, July 18, 2008

Color, I love lots and lots of color

There is so much I want to share with all of you. There are changes in the gardens every day. New blooms, new insects, new weeds! There is also so much gardening information to impart. So much on my list, only so much a person can do on a daily basis and still have a life.

I am going to work towards sharing the splendor in the gardens as it evolves. I will have to catch up from last week's pictures that I was unable to get uploaded to the posts, but I will get there. Most of you have received a general email from me, to check on everyone's status with the blog. Some email addresses got entered wrong, so I have some corrections to make and then I'll get the rest out. I am also working on a seed OFFER - Poppy seed pods got picked this week!! I know those are a very popular item. The plans for the tours are almost finalized. I am adding a scavenger hunt to the gardens, for children of ALL ages!!

And somehow I am trying to find the time to spruce up the gardens in preparation for the tours. Well, that is not going to be the priority, so be prepared for some overgrowth and weeds. But then, how else will you all learn about these things than by experiencing them first hand.

And I still need help. The offers to help really dwindled out. Had two great work sessions with help, and the rest without help. It goes so much faster with even just one person here. I am ready to get help from inexperienced gardeners now. I'll just have to save the more finicky work til I get more help from those gardeners who have the experience to be a right hand to my two lefts!!

Yesterday I was overwhelmed with the explosion of color in the gardens. I stood in front of the house and took picture after picture as I moved in a circle, capturing the color surrounding me as I moved. This is what I saw. (I am not going to try to give descriptions, so that I can get more pictures on this post.)

Here goes, let's hope this computer cooperates with the uploads.


























The new Daylily bed, which I developed last year after separating all my Daylilies ( and giving away hundreds in the process to family and friends) is just spellbinding. The now sparse plantings give a hint of what a glorious garden we have to anticipate in future years. The Daylily is one of my favorite flowers, and I had so much fun painting with the various colored plants as I planted them in their new bed. This bed was veiled by those striking tiny blue Forget-me-nots this spring, a soft, gentle sunshade for the Daylilies sprouting through their rich soil for their dramatic debut.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures of your beautiful garden. I would love to try some of the poppy seeds... Have a great day!!
Sara

Anonymous said...

Hi Marna,
I worked all week so had no chance to catch up. I need to work around home today but would love to help you get ready for your tour next week. I amworking Monday but can help on Tuesday or Wed. AM. I wouldalso love to be on the Monarch log as the kids I mind would greatly benefit by this experience.
I'll talk to you soon.
Fondly,
Jeanne

marna said...

Sara, just let me know when you want to get them.

Jeannie, you are on the Monarch list.

Just got a new dragonfly specimen for my bug collection, thanks, Krissy and located a new Tiger Swallowtail today, also, thanks Druh.

Over the winter I will be able to photo my extensive insect collection for posting.